Wednesday, 28 May 2008

Bishop Nazir-Ali (1)

AN encouraged me to keep representing the Ahmadiyya position in the media and to support him in protesting against the Rt. Rev. Michael Nazir-Ali who was, according to him, advocating almost forceful evangelising of Muslims in the UK.
Wa alaikum asalaam wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu!
I will certainly read what Bishop Nazir Ali has to say if I can find it. I remember being somewhat uncomfortable with his pronouncements in the past – he is a rather emotional man from what I recall. But I shall examine what he has to say carefully and comment if appropriate.
I want to make it clear that I am not representing the Jama'at or the interests of the Jama'at[1]. Neither do I ever represent myself as an Ahmadi. I speak only what I personally believe. I am intensely averse to stupidity, misrepresentation and injustice. If it is a matter about which I have personal knowledge and feel qualified to hold an opinion then I will express it.
I really would like to ask everyone you know to pray for the editor and staff of The Jakarta Post. They have continuously kept the issue of the persecution and threats to the freedom of the Ahmadiyya Jama'at in Indonesia live. Both in editorials and by printing contributions and letters, they have made sure that the injustice of the actions against Ahmadis and the proposed restrictions are absolutely manifest. They have virtually thrown their columns open to us. This is a very courageous thing for them to do and they thoroughly deserve our prayers and our support. I have seldom come across examples of such consistent and long term support for a single issue.
wa alaikum asalaam
Rafiq